The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Northwestern University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in database systems to start in fall 2013. We are interested in exceptional candidates in all areas of database systems, but have a particular focus on areas such as large-scale data management, integration of structured and unstructured data, parallel and distributed data mining and analytics, stream databases, and database engines for scalable computing and emerging computer architectures.
A Ph.D. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is required, as is a clear track record of success in database systems. Successful candidates will be expected to carry out world class-research, collaborate with other faculty, and teach effectively at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Compensation and start-up packages are negotiable and will be competitive.
Northwestern EECS consists of over 50 faculty members of international prominence whose interests span a wide range. Northwestern University is located in Evanston, Illinois on the shores of Lake Michigan just north of Chicago. Further information about the Department and the University is available at http://www.eecs.northwestern.edu and http://www.northwestern.edu.
To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by February 15, 2013 (this date reflects an extension), but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, first read full upload instructions below. Applicants will submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a curriculum vitae, (3) statements of research and teaching interests, (4) three representative publications, and (5) at least three, but no more than five references. For general questions about the search or application assistance post submission, contact
In lieu of applying online, the aforementioned application materials may also be sent to:
Database Systems Faculty Search Committee
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Technological Institute, L359
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Qualified women and minorities are encouraged to apply. It is the policy of Northwestern University not to discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or other protected group status. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read the following in its entirety before starting the application process:
- Within the "comments" field of the application form, please list your thesis advisor, thesis topic or title, and your primary and secondary areas within database systems
- Applications must be uploaded into the online application system or sent via regular mail if indicated as an option in the ad. Please do not send applications or supporting documents to the faculty search alias.
- Required information is marked with an asterisk (*). Please prepare all materials in advance, as you will need to upload these to complete your application.
- Avoid using special characters in file names such as parenthesis, dashes, symbols, underscores, etc. when uploading documents into the application system. Encrypted documents are not supported by the system and will not upload.
- For files that cannot be compacted or are still too large after reducing, please upload an abstract with an online link included where it can be viewed in its entirety.
- Upload only the appropriate documents for each given category. Do not attach additional documents (i.e. personal statements, transcripts, etc.) to the CV, cover letter, statements, and/or papers.
- References will be contacted only if requested by the search committee. Selected applicants will receive updates from the application system when recommendation letters are received.
- Email confirmation will be sent to applicants noting receipt of application if completed properly. Check spam/junk folders if you have not received a message.
Additional information about the application process is as follows:
- If changes are needed to an application after submission, then please contact email@example.com for assistance. Please do not apply again through the online application system.
- General questions regarding the position or process may also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Specific questions regarding where an individual’s application sits in the search process will not be answered. Qualified applicants will be contacted either by email or phone if selected for an interview.
- Allow at least 24-48 business hours for a reply when sending inquires to the faculty application alias.